Gateway Park Flag Raising - July 4, 1917
One of Monument Chapter’s functions is to erect patriotic monuments. In 1914, Monument Chapter’s first project began
- the Gateway Park Flagpole.
flagpole was dedicated and presented to the Minneapolis Park Board on July 4, 1917.
It is an endowed flagstaff as a monument to President George Washington.
The 110 foot flagpole is all that survived into the 21st century from Gateway Park at Hennepin and First Street South in Minneapolis (Location: 44 degrees 59'00.93"N 93 degrees 15'59.23"W).
A medallion with a profile of George Washington is included on the base. The chapter has donated many of the 12 X 18 foot flags for this flagpole.
The inscription on the base reads:
“Presented to the city of Minneapolis as a tribute to George Washington
by the Monument Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution – July the 4th AD 1917. He built his monument in our hearts. He united us under one flag. Vindicate our rights with firmness and cultivate peace with serenity.”